Sunday, July 2, 2023

MY STASH AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT


July 2, 2023: 

My years of acquiring yarn, knitting every day, and even working in a yarn shop are memories now.  At the age of 76, a widow for nearly 5 years, with both of my children thriving in Colorado and Virginia, I live alone.  Not really alone...  After all, I have 10 year old Sammy, my Tonkinese cat who keeps life interesting/somewhat chaotic.  I also have my co-housing community.  I live in a small, energy-efficient home at Prairie Hill, Iowa City's Ecovillage, along with about 4 dozen other Prairie Hill folks, ranging in age from 8 to 80.  We live on 8 acres of land on which we are restoring Iowa prairie grasses, and are cultivating gardens and orchards.   

Knitting has taken a backseat to many other interests and to my own adaptations to life in 2023.  I will sort through my stash of yarns, knitting patterns, and books about knitting.  As I have begun decluttering my home of appliances, furniture, clothes, books, and gadgets, I have not regretted "letting go of stuff".  Instead, I feel better, more optimistic and energetic.  For me, it is a way to see more clearly, feel lighter and more content, and to have less anxiety and worries.  

Now, to the stash:

The yarns that I like to knit are in a particular range of sizes.  I am most comfortable with yarns in Sport/DK, Worsted, and Heavy Worsted weights.  Laceweight is definitely not my thing, nor is Bulky or Extra Bulky.   I prefer to knit with needles in the range of 4 to 10.  These parameters will guide my decisions to Keep, Give*, Sell, or Toss.  Then, I will have a reasonably manageable stash!    (Opportunities to give yarn:  local charities, local senior center)